Teaching with Defiance: Part 1 | Introduction and Goals | Course Quiz 1 of 4
Teaching with Defiance: Part 1 | The Bielski Brothers | Course Quiz 2 of 4
Teaching with Defiance: Part 1 | The Bielskis After the War | Course Quiz 3 of 4
Teaching with Defiance: Part 1 | Ethics and 'Defiance' Discussion Guide | Course Quiz 4 of 4
Community Submitted Materials
Teaching with Defiance: Part 1
- 34:03 minute video divided into 4 chapters
- 8 Downloadable study guides for grades 9-12 and above
- Desktop and mobile access
- Certificate of Completion
- 1 Credit hours towards free CEUs (10 credit hours = 1 CEU)
- Appropriate for classroom use
- Start and stop any time
- Optional quizzes to qualify for course credits
What Will I Learn?
- How to use JPEF’s Teaching with 'Defiance' Lesson plan and study guides to teach one or more 35-60 minute classes based on the film 'Defiance' -- the inspiring, but little known story of the Bielski partisans, starring Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber
- How the Bielskis brothers escaped to the forest and started the largest all-Jewish partisan group of World War II.
- Challenges the Bielski partisans faced to fight back against the Nazis and their collaborators, while rescuing more than 1,200 Jews – more Jews than Oskar Schindler kept from the death camps.
- Techniques for fostering comprehension and critical thinking skills using the resources provided within this course
- Background information and additional information beyond what is covered in the study guides to answer student questions in greater depth
- Suggestions for how to extend the lessons
About this Course
Q: What is the video course about?
A: This two-part video course provides teacher tips and step-by-step instructions so you can use JPEF’s Bielski Partisans / 'Defiance' curricula right away with your students. Part One introduces the Bielski Partisans and covers the Ethics 'Defiance' and Tuvia Bielski study guides. See Part Two for how to Use JPEF’s Teaching with 'Defiance' multimedia lesson plan to teach History, Leadership, Ethics and Jewish values.
Q: Who is it for?
A: This is an advanced JPEF E-Learning course. You should be familiar with JPEF's 'Resistance Basics' video course before proceeding.
Q: What resources are included in this video course?
A: The core curricula includes JPEF’s Tuvia Bielski study guide, Ethics and 'Defiance' study guide and Teaching with 'Defiance' multimedia lesson plan. The study guides can be used on their own. To use the multimedia lesson plan you will need a copy of the film 'Defiance' or order JPEF’s Teaching with 'Defiance' Educator DVD. Refer to the video course for more information.
Q: How do these materials support learning?
A: These materials provide the basis for whole class discussion, partner study, written response, research projects, and creative extensions that will expand the way students think about History, Ethics, Leadership and Jewish Values. Much of the curricula includes text study drawn from Western and Jewish sources (appropriate for both public and religious schools) accompanied by critical thinking questions about the issues partisans faced, and how students might apply these lessons to their own lives.
Q: How is the course structured?
A: This course uses a "do, then teach model" showing how the lesson is used in the classroom, then explaining the theory behind it, as well as suggestions for customizing the lesson. Part One is divided into four chapters, with quizzes at the end of most chapters to test and reinforce comprehension. Teachers who score 80% or more on the quizzes can earn free credit hours and CEUs through Touro College.
- 1. Introduction and Goals (11:18)
- 2. The Bielski Brothers (08:26)
- 3. The Bielskis After the War (04:50)
- 4. Ethics and 'Defiance' Discussion Guide (09:29)
This was a new experience for me and I found the whole experience very useful. It is an easy and engaging way to obtain knowledge.
The eLearning course gives easy step-by-step instructions on how to use materials. I will use film excerpts and partisan testimonials, as well as the explanation of aforementioned different teaching methods.